Sunday, December 14, 2014

Happy.

John Lennon once said "When I was a kid, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I wrote down 'Happy' they told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life."
This quote stands out to me for one simple reason, I think we all seek happiness. Not just temporary happiness, like.. eating Ice cream, or getting an "A" on a spelling test. True,  long lasting, blissful happiness. Sure, we all have things we can say that make us happy.  But to me, happiness has always been being true to myself,  finding my place in the world, taking a moment to breathe. And while I can say I have had glimpses of this true and blissful happiness... I just don't think I've completely found it yet. And on days like today... that really bugs me.
I remember being a junior in high school, there was a day that I felt a glimpse of that happiness stronger than I had in a long time. 3 friends and I went to the festival of colors in Spanish fork. I remember the colors being thrown in the air,  and I remember for just that small amount of time, allowing myself to be me. Not holding back. Because for that short time I was just like everyone else. Nobody cared about who looked what way. Nobody cared how you were dressed. For that moment I was free to be Shay. Free to laugh, free to smile, FREE.
I want to live my life that way. I want to be free.
So what to I want to be when I grow up?
I want to be happy.

No comments: